Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Rhyme Fest La 8/16/14

We Define The Culture
Rhyme Fest La 8/16/14



 Under the Fox Theater crown another Rhyme Fest event was soon to drop anchor. As artists, staff, and fans alike gathered for the festivities there was a subtle energy to the air around Garey ave. In bold black letters displayed "Rhyme Fest Hip Hop Festival" on the marquee and the line began to build. Gracing the stage was a who's who of artists from across the nation spanning decades of hip hop antiquity.  From west coast legends Hieroglyphics to East coast juggernauts like Sage Francis and Supernatural the line up was sure to satisfy any who set foot within the building.

     
Brandishing all four elements in unison from, to bboying, to live graffiti art and apparel Rhyme Fest was an exemplary mixture of hip-hop energy transferred in a infectious manner. As the building filled the most admirable aspect of the night in my eyes was the wealth of talent off the stage. Walking the floor I continually spotted lyrical heavy weights in their own rights supporting hip-hop and their peers alike. It's humbling to bump into individuals such as Ras Kass, Percy P, Sick Jacken, Poison Pen, Medusa, and many more! Even a wilder notion, they weren't even on the bill, that's a statement. Hats off to Rhyme Fest and all the individuals apart of another fruitful evening of hip-hop and culture.

      Starting the night the early bird fans were welcomed by the likes of: Rebels to the grain, CLDMKRS, Noa James, MC Juice, The Cloaks, and many guest appearances while interjecting a multifaceted showcase of more than just mc's rapping. "It's the main reason I like hip-hop shows you get to see how different guys perform and interact with a crowd," a fan said while Noa James was elevating the energy in the already buzzing building.  To me and my crew we love seeing artists on the rise perform for the shear fact they are hungry. You can see the hunger with every step, every vocal delivery, and every anxious movement across the stage; you can tell they live for the ebb and flow of energy exchanged from human being to human being.
   
Bouncing from crowd to lobby to back lot to merchandise tables I took a short moment to interview the humble/talented Lana Shae and always energetic Dj Nikon whom rock with LuckyIAm.

DJ NIKON


How do you feel about the ever changing ideals of the fans and the fact many are waiting for huge festivals and more young artists on the rise are trying to throw events which may not be as organized?

"Without those hungry promoters and young artists pushing at times their wouldn't be shows. Being creative is important man."

I've noticed y'all always do little things to set yourselves apart? I remember y'all let out balloons in SLO and you rocked a unicorn mask.

"Yeah, staying fresh and creative is important. At Northern lights we handed out cookies and joints and that was a huge highlight for people."

LANA SHAE


You've been rocking with some heavy weights and seem very comfortable what have you learned about yourself and surroundings?

"I've been lucky and it's shown me a lot about myself. I'm creating my own sound and not holding back, I'm unrestricted. I'm working on a solo project that has no rules, it's me." (Look out for R.A.P.S. by Lana Shae)

      Lana gave me a raw back and fourth explaining her insights and perspective. I asked her about her roots and music background and she let me know it runs in the family and that she has a wealth of skill sets she's excited to showcase in her music. I'm excited to see what she has coming up next, it's awesome to see humble artists who are tirelessly crafting project in an artful manner.

    Wrapping up my wonderful time with Lana I shoot to the back to line up a dialogue with Noa James. This ended up being a three part epic between myself, Lesa, Noa, and Curtis which had me so juiced I may have missed a few sets and laced a whole secondary write up off of it. I mean straight up, certain artists surpass my expectations at times and I can't help but want to set up a never ending back and fourth. It's those "long road trip" talks but we were back side stage entrance sweating in the humid night air. Once we chopped enough verbal ingredients to cook a six course meal we signed the check and dipped.

      After chopping it up with The Brick To Ya Face family I walked in for Supernaturals set. Now I've been a Supernat fan for years! I mean real deal I've been studying his freestyle delivery like that of an opponents martial arts style! He's a multiple degree black belt, bar to bar! He delivers off the top verbiage on the mic with a fevered ruggedness that is quick, abrasive, and down right ridiculous at times. Grabbing a nearby fans phone which is clearly recording Supernat buck shots out "I don't fuck with Lil Wayne I don't fuck with 2Chainz I meant this, Instagram that shit and hash tag Supernat said it" all off the top mind you. My face had "OH SHIT" blasted all over it, and the crowd reacted as Nat knew they would, wild. Know if you like and or dislike Lil Wayne or 2Chainz isn't even the meat to this ceremonial flavor for ya ear, the fact you know that shit was fucking raw is what matters. honestly fuck all the bullshit, when you see dope you see DOPE! From layered freestyle and fundamental emceeing to a classic Supernat stage show of "The Three emcee's" the crowd was on their heels. If it's your first, fourth, or tenth time seeing Supernatural it's like putting bacon on food, it never gets old and it's damn good. I had a moment when Supernatural was addressing the current state our country is in before he performed "sunshine" when I looked left and saw Medusa eyes locked on the stage, it was a had to be there moment I won't forget.

    Follow the dismembering of the microphone that just occurred I began asking fans how they felt about the fact Craig G and Supernatural shared the same stage tonight and how dope that is in the hip-hop sense. Let's just say I was saddened by the fact I was the only one who was moved by the act..what the fuck man..where's Bobito when I need him?

     Moving from crowd to lobby and smirking cause I love the fact every show I catch Luck and Lana at they're knee deep in conversations with the fans at their merch table I organize some notes near the live art. A wall blast freshly sprayed, displayed, and blazed was glistening in the back alley lighting, it's hip hop. literally. As masses were squeezing in from place to place I took in the diverse scenery of art, individuals, and surroundings and couldn't help but feel a sense of pride. It's dope to see so many diverse aspects gathered for a common cause which is hip-hop to me.

 
Cutting back to the press area I notice the B side homies, Sick Jacken, Poison Pen, and some other individuals chopping, I didn't even know they were going to be here. That's tight. The nights starting to hit prime hours and Chino XL is on stage gassing on the night before Sage goes on. Sage Francis in my eyes is one of the best to scribe a song, on my cat. Chino connects with the crowd and finishes up his word weighted gambit before strolling off. As the time starts to approach Sage's set I walk into the side stage area to view the SFR captains set. Clad in his usual Sage like attire, a SFR flag cape, wig, and ball cap I hear one of my favorite intros cue on. "Escape Artist" is a layered vocal performance with bar after bar of structured composition followed by "Sea Lion" from the album "Human the Death Dance". After these two pieces "Makeshift Patriot" roared on and hands began to slam up and down in the air across the floor. This was one of my favorite Sage performances I've seen and the cherry on top was finalizing his set with Scoobius Pip.

   The night advanced as it should in a progressive climactic fashion from artist to artist which kept everyone involved energetic and gratified. Gracing the stage  next we had Slum Village as well as the in house members of Hieroglyphics and Souls of Mischief, it was a pleasure. Heads knocked, arms rocked, and fans mouthed lyrics they've known for years. It's a remarkable feeling to see an individual view an aspect of their life in the physical form, this was occurring in rapid fashion. From face to face the glows of fans became an aura. Every other beat was the catalyst for organic reaction, Honestly when "Shape Shift" dropped I gigged like it was Christmas Eve and all year I was a fucking nun. Overall Rhyme Fest LA was an event that stayed true to not only hip-hop and the necessary elements, but to the fans as well.

-JP

We Define The Culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment