Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Wow "LGNDRY"

We Define The Culture
The Wow
"LGNDRY"
10/21/2014



Let's lay the ground work for a split second so y'all can taste the sundae ethics and recipe. When I was a Sophomore in high school I lived in Orcutt, Ca. Hip-Hop became the number one priority in my life and everything Hip-Hop absorbed every ounce of time/energy. Living in a smaller town I gravitated toward finding cats that inspired me and struck a competitive aspect birthed via athletics. While feverishly researching local artists and new emcees to dissect I encountered a video of a cat walking through a local campus recording a remix to "Hey There Delilah", I was floored; it was raw as fuck. I started digging for anything and everything K.O. The Legend; I mimicked mannerisms, structured writing styles, and followed his tiered varying deliveries, I was hooked.  A multifaceted emcee/producer/fashion icon/futuristic mind the Kid is definitely Official.


Jump what feels a life time forward, albums released, productions placed, tours run, credits volumes long and skill Goliath built; "Who Is The Wow?" The Wow is a collective combination of the mad scientist Balt Getty and the graphite Bruce Lee K.O. precisely resuscitating   Hip-Hop chess move by chess move. The golden era feels dueled with hard hitting drum kits and bass that will clap an ass on the sidewalk from the whip; Balt is the real "Getty Center". These yuck face inducing productions dueled with a reincarnated Big Daddy Cane mixed with Big L Super Saiyan cracking beats lay the ground work to a Dubai style empire. The anticipation for LGNDRY was well felt throughout the blog scene and California Hip-Hop scene with the release of "Masterpiece" Ft Method Man.  It left one question "Who's the hottest right now? K.O./B.G. and we got it like....WOW."



LGNDRY is a long awaited firm bodied release from the duo as well as K.O. himself. With multiple mixtapes and projects running the web there is no lack of material or reference points. What we have here is another elevating step physically stating what words rarely do, POWER. Opening the album the primary track "BDK" is Reaganomics dope to the streets. Honestly, it's a throwback instrumental with conscious bars which still translate a radio wave swagged sensation.

"I'm the new empire check out my temperature, I get a check when I right down my signature. I'm not a lyricist I'm an adventurer, life is a bitch I caress every inch of her...It's that BDK; Big Daddy Cane in your CD-j. All hail Hip-Hop to the beat we pray, it's The Wow bitch go and get the EPK."

-K.O. "BDK"

It's stupid, seriously. The first four tracks alone could be a solid imprint to any artists resume which would allow them movement toward multiple definitive routes in the industry alone; yet they shrug eighteen tracks back to back to back. The lyricism/vocal articulation is definitely my favorite aspect of the album teamed with the respect done via the placements featured. Brandishing features from Method man of the "Wu-Tang Clan", Fatlip of "The Pharcyde", Prodigy of "Mobb Deep", and well known actor/emcee Realm Reality; The Wow pays homage.




It's a crucial era in modern Hip-hop where the fans are beginning to demand a new level of artistry which takes us back to the core fundamentals that founded the culture. The wave of beat heavy lifting tracks paired with catchy repetitive hooks is fading out and listeners are craving the raw music which echoes what the masses are feeling/living again. Listening to this project it had me shaking my head at the pin pointing taken; it's a patient masterpiece meticulously crafted.

"The edible kind that make you want to bite mine. You like mine? Then you can look down the price line and cop mine for nine-teen decimal nine, nine... If an emcee wants to battle me I have to penalize em."

-K.O. "Get Up"

The project spans leagues of depth in so many ways from; "Talk my shit" to "Whatcha need" to "Who are we" it's fucking well rounded!

"Whatcha need? More doctors, more painters, more teachers, more lovers, less haters. Being blamed by the rules they can't make us, so it doesn't matter what they saying they can't break us."

-K.O. "Whatcha Need"



There was a point in our modern music history where albums had everything; they vocalized almost every aspect of what we were experiencing. Listening to this project three times through I'm still catching new aspects of it, it's a damn Christopher Nolan film in auditory form. If you smoke, bang, swag out, are conscious, bump production, want to vibe out, or get deep, it's all covered.  The conceptualization of this project must have been a bitch, honestly! To piece together so many different production based tracks in a way that they are cohesive yet still fresh enough to grasp the listener and relay a new feel/message, it's dumb.
I remember the first time I unwrapped "Man on the moon" by Kid Cudi; it was in my system for a year straight. Since I purchased LGNDRY I haven't taken it off repeat, real talk. It's a labor intensive compilation of work created by Hip-Hop heads for the masses, I fuck with it heavy. I get so damn excited when elevated projects are released for the sheer fact it will cause other emcees/producers to feel insecure and dig deep to create real art. LGNDRY is definitely a must have and in my opinion one of the top projects dropped this year.

"I ain't got no nine to five and if I did I'd never show up...and I can't run home to my mom, cause she tells me I'm a failure. Cause I've been to jail more than one time for paraphernalia."

- K.O. "Who We Are"

So who is "The Wow"? The Wow is now, The Wow is the fusion of golden era ideals and modern era Hip-Hop, The Wow is LGNDRY.

"Don't give me props give me payment!"

-K.O. "Talk My Shit"

@WhoIsTheWow

Album "LGNDRY" Now on ITunes

-JP

W.D.T.C

No comments:

Post a Comment